This Program is a cooperative effort between Kidz Cooking
and greater Boston area Libraries intended to spread the
importance of Reading, Healthy Eating, Eating Locally Grown
Foods, and Cooking From Scratch.
In an hour or an hour and a half class, I will read the kids a book and work with them to follow a recipe that can be associated with the book. Participants are divided into 2 to 4 Teams and each Team receives a recipe. The children do all the work! Depending on the recipe, I will either read the book in the beginning of the Class or read the book while the food is baking, cooking, etc. I provide all ingredients and equipment (portable convection ovens, burners, mixers, griddles, etc.) and I do the clean-up at the end. Cooks & Books can be customized to fit your needs and space.
For older kids and teens I often read excerpts from books on their level, have them read the cookbooks themselves and challenge them to find the answers to their or my own cooking questions in the cookbook itself.
What Will the Kidz be Cooking?
I work with Librarians to pick a theme around holidays, seasons, town events, and/or fruits & veggies that are locally available. Then I find books that correspond with these themes, such as:
- Valentines Day - red velvet cakes, heart hamburgers, cookies or cupcakes
- Presidents Day – hoe cakes
- MLK Day – sweet potato pie, grits
- Earth Day – granola, zucchini brownies, earth cookies, earth eggs
- Halloween & Thanksgiving – pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies
- St Patrick’s Day – Irish soda bread
- Election Day – election day cake
- April Fools Day – fake cake, dirt cake
- Patriots Day – Johnny cakes
Some past themes:
Some of the Books I have read and themed Programs around include:
- Give a Mouse a Pancake and The Runaway Pancake - pancakes
- Strawberry Shortcake books - strawberry shortcake
- The Lorax – carrot muffins
- Mr. Mudge Makes Fudge – fudge
- Chicken Soup with Rice – chicken soup with rice
- The Tree That Would Not Die – zucchini brownies
- American Girl books – waffles & strawberries
Some of the Foods we have made include: